UK Work Visa
Being one of the most developed economies in the world, UK has succeeded in attracting a large share of world’s abroad workers. The country not only offers job opportunities with high salary but also provides good working conditions where workers are respected, which makes it an ideal country to work in. However, it is not possible for everyone to move to the United Kingdom and get a job as the procedure for the same is quite lengthy and time consuming. One of the most prominent way to move to the UK among immigrants is via the work visa as it allows an individual to work and stay in the country to earn and get good amount of work experience. Following are the main categories for UK Employment Visas:
1. Short-term work visas
2. Long-term work visas
3. Investor, business development and talent visas
4. Other work visas
Let’s get in depth knowledge about all the above mentioned:
1) Short-term work visas: This visa is a part of the Tier 5 Visas, which is a part of UK Point Based System. The categories of these visas are also called as the UK Temporary Workers Visas, following are the same:
a) UK Charity Worker visa (Tier 5) – This category is for the people who wishes to do the unpaid voluntary work for a charity. For the same, a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer will be required.
b) UK Creative and Sporting visa (Tier 5) - Those who have been offered work as a sports person or creative employee can apply for this visa. In order to be eligible for the same, the candidates would require a possession of a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer in the United Kingdom.
c) UK Government Authorized Exchange visa (Tier 5) - If a person wishes to gain work experience or do the training or an overseas government language program or research or a fellowship, via an approved government authorized scheme, can apply for this visa.
d) UK International Agreement visa (Tier 5) – People who are assigned to work for a foreign government or as a private servant in a diplomatic household will be required to apply for this Visa.
e) UK Religious Worker visa (Tier 5) – Those who wishes to move to the UK for a shorter duration to do some religious work like preaching can apply for this visa.
f) UK Seasonal Worker Visa (Tier 5) – In case anyone wishes to move to the UK for a Seasonal work and do farm work for up to 6 months, can apply for this visa.
g) UK Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5) – This type of visa is for people who holds some type of British Nationality or are from some type of similar countries, between the age of 18 to 30, can apply for this visa.
2) Long-term work visas for the UK: These type of visas are part of the Tier 2 Visas, which is a part of the UK Point Based System. Following are the main categories:
a) Tier 2 General UK work visa – Those who have received a job offer in the UK, and are from outside the EEA and Switzerland, can apply for this Visa. In order to apply for the same, the candidate must be employed by a licensed sponsor.
b) Tier 2 UK Intra-company Transfer visa – Individuals whose foreign employer has offered an employment in a UK branch of the same organization can apply for this visa.
c) Tier 2 UK Minister of Religion visa – Those people who are non-EEA and Switzerland nationals and holds a job offer in the UK within a faith community, can apply for this visa.
d) Tier 2 UK Sportsperson visa – Highly qualified coach or elite sportsperson who has been recognized by their sport’s governing body as highest level of their profession globally, can apply for this visa.
3) Investor, business development and talent visas: Following are several UK visa types for categories under this type:
a) UK Innovator visa – Foreigners who want to set up or run a business in the country, can apply for this visa.
b) UK Start-up visa – Those who want to set up and run a start-up in the United Kingdom can apply for this visa. In order to be eligible for the same, endorsement by an authorized body is mandatory.
c) UK Global Talent Visa – Individuals who work in a qualifying field and have been validated as a recognized leader, can apply for this visa.
d) UK Graduate Entrepreneur visa (Tier 1) - Those graduates who have been officially recognized of having a genuine business idea, may apply for this visa in the UK.
e) UK Investor visa (Tier 1) – Those people who can invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK, can apply for this visa.
4) Other Types of UK Work VisasFollowing are other UK work visas:
a) UK Ancestry visa – If you are a commonwealth citizen applying from outside UK, then you can apply for this visa as it allows you to get a job in the UK. In order to be eligible for the same, the candidates would be required to prove that at least one of their grandparents was born in the United Kingdom.
b) Domestic Workers in a Private Household UK visa – Domestic workers who are working in a private household, who wish to visit the country with their employer can apply for this visa.
c) Representative of an Overseas Business UK visa – If an individual is the sole representative of an overseas company which is planning to set up a branch in the United Kingdom or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company, then he/she can apply for this visa. In addition, the employees of overseas media who are posted on a long-term assignment to the United Kingdome are also eligible for the same.
d) Turkish Businessperson UK visa - Those people who are Turkish nationals and who wants to move to the UK to start a new venture or to help run an already established business, can apply for this visa.
e) Turkish Worker UK visa – Those Turkish nationals who have worked in the UK for minimum one year as the spouse of a Briton or a settled person, can apply for this visa.
What are the UK Work Visa for Indians?
In order to improve its competitive edge, UK government is focusing on inviting skilled professionals to work in the country under the Tier 2 visa program and the Skilled Worker Visa i.e., Points-based system. Indian nationals who wishes to live and work in the UK can apply through the Tier 2 program.
Skilled workers from countries like India whose occupations are listed on the Tier 2 Shortage Occupation List can apply under the Tier 2 program in the UK on a long-term basis and gain experience in their professional fields. The preference is, however, given to the Entrepreneurs, investors and exceptional talents in this visa category. Further, the candidates under this category must not be from EU/EEA/EFTA nations as the employment rules are different for them.
What is the scope of UK Work Visa for a Skilled Worker?
I) Work and pursue higher studies in UK
II) Immediate family members of the primary applicant can accompany to UK
III) Travel freely in the country
Note- In order to travel in the Schengen countries, the candidate would be required to apply for a separate Schengen Visa.
What is the validity of a skilled worker visa?
One can stay for a period of 5 years and 14 days on the Tier 2 visa or the duration mentioned on one’s certificate of sponsorship (additional 1 month) whichever period is shorter. However, the duration of work visa depends on the length of the employment contract. In case the candidate have not exceeded the maximum duration for their visa type, then they can extend their stay. For the same, they will be required to apply for an extension.
What is the processing time for skilled worker Visa?
The candidates must apply 3 months before the appointment date mentioned in their employment offer letter. On successfully clearing the Visa Interview, the visa approval decision is confirmed within 3 weeks. Recently, the applications have been accelerated by the UK government for occupations in the shortage occupation list due to which the processing time is reduced.
What are the documents required for the UK Tier 2 Visa?
1) Certificate of Sponsorship / Job offer letter from licensed UK Company.
2) Academic/ professional certificates
3) Current employment details
4) Commendations / certificates for outstanding achievements.
5) Current Salary slip and bank statements of last one year.
6) Sufficient maintenance funds for the principal applicant and his dependents (if any).
7) A valid passport with travel history/immigration visa stamps etc.
8) English Language Proficiency Test scores and clearance Certificates from a recognized Test Authority
9) NOC on Criminal records after police verification
10) Birth and marriage certificates.
11) National Insurance number, travel and health insurance details.
12) Other supporting documents
Other Important FAQs
How much is the Visa fee for a work visa for UK?
The standard Visa fee for a Skilled Worker visa ranges from £610 to £1,408. In addition to this, the candidate might be asked to pay the healthcare surcharge of approx. £624 annually.
How do you get sponsorship for the Skilled Worker Visa?
In order to get sponsorship for the skilled worker visa, an individual must have an employment offer from a licensed employer who can sponsor employees from overseas. If the employer is satisfied, then they will give a certificate of sponsorship to the candidate with which they can apply for the visa.
What is the age limit for a UK work visa?
The candidate must be minimum 18 years of age at the time of the application.
Can I leave UK while my visa is being processed?
No, you cannot leave the country while your visa is being processed as per the new UK immigration rules, because you will be required to keep your passport with the immigration office throughout the process.
Is IELTS required for the Skilled Worker visa?
Though IELTS is not mandatory, but proof of language proficiency tests is a must. In case you don’t want to give IELTS then you have to meet the UKVI (General) requirement. Under this you would require a minimum score of 4 bands in all the four modules or UK NARIC report for the Bachelor’s or Master’s education.
How VS4U can help you?
- Profile Evaluation: Our experts analyze your profile in-depth to see which program is best suitable for you. Accordingly, we customize our services as per the program and requirement for the same.
- Documents & Review: A detailed and error-free documentation support is provided to the candidate which is maintained in specific formats.
- Dedicated Case Manager: A dedicated adviser is provided to help applicants throughout the process.
- Visa Filing: VS4U ensures that the visa applications meet all the quality necessities involved in the immigration process.
- Language Proficiency Tests: Complimentary on-line and offline offered to assist aspirants improve their Language Proficiency for necessary exams like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE.
- Mock Interviews: Guidance is provided to aspirants attending visa interviews at the side of verified documents.
- Post Landing Services: We provide accommodation and job assistance to our clients as we have various links in UK through which newcomers can settle in easily.
Planning to Relocate?