Canada Study/Student Visa
The Canadian Study Visa permits individuals to study and travel in Canada as an International Student. It also allows the students to take part-time jobs which helps them in managing their living expenses in the maple country.
According to Higher Education’s World University Rankings 2022, Canada is home to thirty of the world’s top five hundred universities. Due to the country’s lenient immigration policies and post study opportunities, there has been a continuous rise in the number of international students opting to study in Canada. In addition, there are ample of Universities and Colleges which provide prime notch study programs and various facilities for International Students therefore one should consider Canada as one of the top study destinations.
What are the Top Universities in Canada?
There are ninety-eight universities in Canada, among them following are the top ten Universities:
Name of University
University of Toronto
University of British Columbia
University of Alberta
Université de Montréal
University of Waterloo
University of Calgary
What are the top colleges in Canada?
There are a hundred and fifty colleges across Canada and all of them offers quality education and has almost the similar reputation. Nevertheless there are some colleges which are more popular than others. Here is the list of the same:
- Seneca College
- Humber College
- George Brown College
- Lambton College
- Niagara College
- Sheridan College
- Mohawk College
- Centennial College
- Fleming College
- Fanshawe College
- Conestoga College
Note: Apart from public colleges there are various private colleges as well but Visa success rate in public colleges are high as compared to private colleges.
What is the distinction between College and University?
Universities provides Bachelors, Masters and PhD programs whereas colleges offer UG diploma, University transfer Programs, Bachelor’s degree and PG diploma. It must be noted that Masters and PhD programs are solely offered in universities.
What are the various Study Programs in Canada?
- Certificate or Diploma of one or two years of duration
- Advanced Diplomas of two or three years
- Undergraduate Programs of three or four years
- Postgraduate Programs of two years
- Doctorates or PhDs of four or five years with dissertation
Eligibility Criteria for Student Visa
In order to be eligible for Canada Student Visa, the candidates:
- Must be enrolled at a DLI (Designated Learning Institution) in Canada.
- Must have enough funds to meet the study and living cost.
- Must not have a Criminal record and he/she must obtain a police certificate if required.
- Must be in a good health and is willing to undergo a medical examination if required.
- Must prove the visa officer that he/she will leave Canada on the expiration of their Study permit.
Documents needed for a Canadian Student Visa
- Acceptance Letter
- Identity proof
- Proof of finances
- Statement of Purpose
- A guardian declaration (for minors)
Kindly note that all the documents should be scanned and uploaded properly. Afterwards, the candidate need to carry the original documents to their visa interview, in case one is called for the interview.
Cost of Studying in Canada
The cost of studying in Canada is quite affordable as compared to other countries. The tuition fee is dependent on the province one is willing to study in along with other factors like Course, University or College selected etc. Usually, technical and medical courses are more costly than arts courses.
Following is the average tuition fee of studying in Canada depending on the type of program:
|Study Program||Average fees(in CAD*)|
$12,000 to $25,000 per year
Postgraduate master’s Program
$24,000 to $35,000 per year
$7,000 to $10,000 per year
What is the Application process for Canada Study Visa?
Step 1: Elaborated analysis on the courses
This is the foremost and extreme vital step that decides how your future will appear. As a result, it needs plenty of analysis therefore seeking a professional recommendation is your best bet. Visa Solutions 4 U suggests you the best courses appropriate for your profile keeping in mind your career goals, placement opportunities and most importantly your budget. We offer you the best courses and ensure you get a DLI approved University or College.
Step 2: Select the top-notch suitable Institute
Browse the online web site of the shortlisted colleges/Universities and select those the one which best match your expectation in terms of quality of education, ranking, program structure, program fee and different facilities for international students. International students ought to verify that the required establishment may be a DLI (Designated Learning Institution). Solely universities on this list are allowed for a study VISA from SDS category. For a full list of all DLIs by province, please seek advice from the selected Learning establishment List. International students are needed to pursue studies at a DLI as this standing is needed to induce entry into the country.
Step 3: Prepare for entrance exams
There are many entrance exams for immigration to Canada. Among them, some are GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, MCAT, Duolingo. These exams are for different purposes. You need to give any one or two of them according to your profile.
Step 4: Finance your studies
The next step is to check whether you have enough finances to fund your studies because there are many factors which makes your abroad study expensive like accommodation, food, clothing, tuition fee and many more that can add up in the long run. You need to have a solid financial plan, and cannot depend on funding it with a part-time job when you get there.
Step 5: Apply to university
After choosing the most effective appropriate option and transcription of funds you have got to complete the main step i.e., applying to your desired course keeping other courses as your backup choice.
Step 6: Letter of Acceptance
In general, an applicant may receive a decision on an application within 1 to 4 months after the application deadline. Elite applicants will receive a Letter of Acceptance, which will be used in processing application for Canada Study Permit. The universities will email you acceptance letters and you must respond to your desired university among the stipulated period of time.
Step 7: Payment of Tuition Fee
Once you have got accepted there are several things to take care of. Initial of all, pay the tuition fee or at least the minimum deposit before the mentioned time period on the offer letter. Moreover, if there are scholarships that you have in mind, currently would be the time to apply to them. Lastly, if you would like to reside in university dorms, applying early is advisable as they top off quick.
Step 8: Get your Student Visa
Once you get admission confirmation done, you will be able to apply for your student visa. It is necessary to try and do this at the earliest as you will not be able to travel to Canada without it even if your session has started. Additionally, there might be chances of not getting through your interview the very first time, so make sure you start procedure well before your program start date. For more information contact VS4U and get your student Visa in the first attempt itself.
What are the intakes in Canada?
There are three intakes which are available in Canada. Following are the same:
- Intake 1: Fall Semester – This intake is the most popular among International students. It begins in the month of September.
- Intake 2: Winter Semester – This intake starts in the month of January
- Intake 3: Summer Semester – This intake begins in the month of April/May. Well, there are limited programs and colleges available in the same due to which less number of students prefer to take admission in this intake.
Post Study Work Option
IRCC offers Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) to International students who have recently graduated from Canadian Institutions so that they can gain work experience after their study permit. The PGWP allows the candidates to work on open work permit for a period valid up to three years depending on the type of course student opted for. Though there is no need for an employer to have an employment offer prior making an application, however, in order to be eligible for the same, the candidate must be graduated from a DLI i.e., Designated Learning Institution along with which their program of study must be of minimum 8 months and they must have maintained full time student status. Lastly, the candidates must have an official letter from their respective DLI that they have fulfilled all the necessary program requirements.
1) Can I apply for a Canada Student Visa without IELTS?
Yes, you can study in Canada without IELTS as there are several Canadian institutions which offers study programs without IELTS. Nevertheless, some of them have different ways to check the candidate’s language ability.
2) What is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?
International students are allowed to be admitted via a DLI. A candidate studying at a non DLI Institution is not allowed to stay in the country after they finish their studies due to which it is advisable to only take admission in a DLI approved College/University.
3) Can I Change Schools or Programs While on a Study Permit?
Yes, you can change your school or program at any time. In order to do so, you need to make sure that you are following the right process and staying within the conditions of your study permit.
4) Can I Work While Studying in Canada?
Yes, International students are allowed to work part-time in Canada. While pursuing their studies, they can work up to 20 hours per week except in the case where they have vacations going on as during the break they can work full time. Additionally, they can also work for full time while they would be on their PGWP i.e., Post Graduate Work Permit.
5) Can My Spouse Work While I am Studying in Canada?
In case your spouse is accompanying you then he/she will be eligible for Open Work Permit, which will him/her to work full time in Canada while you are studying.
How VS4U can help you?
- Profile Evaluation: Our experts analyze your profile in-depth to see which program is best suitable for you. Accordingly, we customize our services as per the program and requirement for the same.
- Documents and Review: A detailed and error-free documentation support is provided to the candidate which is maintained in specific formats.
- Dedicated Case Manager: A dedicated adviser is provided to help applicants throughout the process.
- Visa Filing: Visa Solutions 4 U ensures that the visa applications meet all the quality necessities involved in the immigration process.
- Language Proficiency Tests: Complimentary online and offline offers to assist aspirants to improve their Language Proficiency for necessary exams like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE.
- Mock Interviews: Guidance is provided to aspirants attending visa interviews at the side of verified documents.
- Post-Landing Services: VS4U provides accommodation and job help post landing particularly in Canada as we have got our Head Branch in Canada that helps candidates to settle down within the new country.
Planning to Relocate?