UK Study/Student Visa
Being one of the most traditional center of world’s leading educational institutions, the UK have an inheritance of creating the finest minds in the world. Today, it has become one of the most popular destinations among students who wish to pursue their studies abroad due to its high quality of education and more career opportunities. Apparently, 600,000 international students move to the United Kingdom to pursue programs ranging from bachelor’s degrees to PhDs. Some of the many major sectors of higher education in the UK are engineering, business, management, art, design, and law.
In addition, there are various options available for the students to continue with post-graduate studies in most UK universities along with which some of them even promise to sponsor Tier 4 visas. Therefore, acquiring a UK Student Visa can help an individual to put their best foot forward, in terms of an excellent career post their study.
Requirements for UK Study Visa
The study visa requirements for UK varies for different types of visas. In case anyone wishes to study a course for a shorter duration, then he/she may be eligible for a short-term visa which is valid for up to six months. Nevertheless, if the course duration is longer then the candidate would need to make sure that his/her chosen institution holds a Tier 4 Sponsor License.
However, following are some general requirements of UK Study Visa:
- A valid passport or any other documentation for travel
- Proof of funds
- Funds need to be maintained for 28 days (inclusive of tuition fees and living cost)
- CAS reference number – Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
- Documents used for obtaining the CAS
- Color photographs of passport size
- Screening for Tuberculosis (If required)
- Additional requirements by the University before the application (If required)
Intakes Available in UK
One of the major intake in the UK is the September Intake which is also known as the Autumn Intake as most universities have maximum available seats available during this time. In addition, various scholarships are also offered to the deserving candidates.
Another popular intake is the January or known as the winter intake. In case anyone misses the September intake then they can apply during the winter time for a higher chance of selection.
Top Universities in UK
Here is the list of top Universities in UK as per QS World Ranking:
RANK IN 2022
University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
Imperial College London
The University of Edinburgh
The University of Manchester
King’s College London
The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
The University of Warwick
University of Bristol
University of Glasgow
University of Southampton
University of Birmingham
University of St Andrews
University of Leeds
The University of Sheffield
University of Nottingham
Queen Mary University of London
The University of Exeter
University of York
University of Bath
University of Liverpool
University of Reading
University of Aberdeen
Queen’s University Belfast
University of Sussex
University of Leicester
University of Surrey
University of Strathclyde
University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of Dundee
City, University of London
Birkbeck, University of London
Royal Holloway University of London
Brunel University London
University of Kent
SOAS University of London
Oxford Brookes University
Essex, University of
Goldsmiths, University of London
University of Stirling
Kingston University, London
University of Plymouth
University of Hull
University of Portsmouth
Northumbria University at Newcastle
University of Bradford
University of Huddersfield
University of Westminster
University of Greenwich
De Montfort University
Edinburgh Napier University
Liverpool John Moores University
London Metropolitan University
London South Bank University
Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)
Nottingham Trent University
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Robert Gordon University
University of Brighton
University of Central Lancashire
University of East London
University of Hertfordshire
University of Lincoln
University of Salford
University of the West of England
Documents required for a UK Student Visa
Following are the documents which are required for UK Student Visa:
- Valid passport
- Latest Bank statement stating that the candidate have enough funds to support their stay during the course
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- Passport size color photographs
- Tuberculosis test reports (If required)
- Profile assessment document
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
- Clearance Certificate (if required)
- Additional documents in case the candidates are under the age of 18 or have accompanying dependents
- Other documents
Costs for a UK Student Visa
The cost for studying in UK depends on the type of the program and the institution which an individual wish to opt. However, the fee needed for the Tier 4 General Visa is £348. In case, the dependents are accompanying the candidate then they are required to pay an additional £348 per person.
Payments can be made for the Tier 4 Visa via the following methods:
- Online payment via a Visa Card or MasterCard
- Demand Draft
- Paying via cash at the Visa Application Center
Following are the average tuition fee depending on the type of Study Program:
Average Tuition fee in GBP (£)
Undergraduate Bachelor Degree
£6,000 to £16,000 yearly
Postgraduate master’s degree
£10,000 to £20,000 yearly
£13,000 to £29,000 yearly
Post Study Work Option
- After finishing their education, International students in the UK on a valid Tier 4 visa are permissible to stay in the country if they hold a job offer worth minimum GBP 20,800 annually.
- The students are required to switch to a Tier 2 General Visa from a Tier 4 Visa after study in UK which has a validity of five years.
- International students may qualify for permanent residence if they have gained the work experience provided that their annual income is minimum GBP 35,000.
How to apply for a UK Student Visa?
Usually, the UK student visas are processed within a period of three weeks from the application lodgment. Following are the steps involved in obtaining a UK Student Visa:
1) Initially, the candidates are required to check their eligibility. For the same they are needed to provide a "confirmation of acceptance for studies"(CAS). In addition, they need to prove that they have the required funds for covering their course fees, tuition fees, and living costs.
2) Then the candidates need to submit the necessary documents. On successful submission of the same, they can apply for Visa Online.
3) Afterwards they need to get registered on the official UK website and create an account. Now at this step the candidates are required to complete their online application form and take a print for signing on the same. Further, they need to use the online appointment calendar and fix an appointment at the visa center.
4) Then the candidates are required to make the payments which can be made in the following four ways:
- Payment at Standard Chartered Bank,
- Demand draft from a nationalized or foreign bank,
- Pay Online,
- Or pay at the visa application center.
5) Lastly, the candidates must pay a visit at the visa application center on their appointment date and need to submit their application with their required documents, photographs, and fingerprints.
1) Can a UK Student Visa be extended?
Yes, it can be extended in the case if the candidate is in the UK and meets the required eligibility requirements, and have a sponsor for their sponsorship. Following are the eligibility requirements for the sponsor for visa extension:
- A Higher Education Institute (HEI)
- An embedded college offering various courses
- An overseas HEI
- An independent school
2) Can a person work in the UK with a student visa?
Yes, if the candidate has a UK on Tier 4 (General) Student Visa or a Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa then you can work in the UK. With Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, he/she can take up for almost all forms of jobs as per their course level and from where they are studying. Nevertheless, there are a few restrictions to choose a job type:
- The candidate needs to be 16 years of age or more to work on Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa.
- He/She will be able to work for up to 10 hours per week during full-time and term-time vacancy.
3) Is IELTS mandatory for studying in the UK?
Yes, you can study in the UK without taking the IELTS. Though, English proficiency is one of the most important requirements for obtaining a Tier 4 (General) Student visa. However, there are some UK universities that can waive off the IELTS Test.
How VS4U can help you?
- Profile Evaluation: Our experts analyze your profile in-depth to see which program is best suitable for you. Accordingly, we customize our services as per the program and requirement for the same.
- Documents & Review: A detailed and error-free documentation support is provided to the candidate which is maintained in specific formats.
- Dedicated Case Manager: A dedicated adviser is provided to help applicants throughout the process.
- Visa filing: VS4U ensures that the visa applications meet all the quality necessities involved in the immigration process.
- Language Proficiency Tests: Complimentary on-line and offline offered to assist aspirants improve their Language Proficiency for necessary exams like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE.
- Mock Interviews: Guidance is provided to aspirants attending visa interviews at the side of verified documents.
- Post-Landing Services: We provide accommodation and job assistance to our clients as we have various links in the UK through which newcomers can settle in easily.
Planning to Relocate?