USA Study/Student Visa
Being one of the world’s leading student destination, the United States offers unmatched scope for students from all streams to study and outshine in their chosen career. USA is the ideal destination for students looking to study abroad due to its high quality of life and various opportunities. Visa Solutions 4U, leading US Visa Consultants In Delhi, India, will help you understand the process, benefits, and all other important details about US Study Visa from India.
Benefits of Studying in USA
With the help of a student visa, US universities are able to provide the best platform to the international students and it can be clearly seen from their high rankings globally, which makes it worth investing for studies. The country’s education system not only offers the comprehensive coursework but also emphasize on both practical and theoretical learning. Here is the list of some concise benefits:
- Affordable Education as various scholarships are available in almost every intuition
- Global exposure and Flexibility
- Amazing support system for international students
- Internship Opportunities
- Vibrant Campus Lifestyle
Intakes in the USA
There are three intakes in the US Universities. Following are the same:
- Fall Semester – It begins in the month of August/September and it is as the major intake.
- Spring Semester – This intake starts in the month of January/February and most of students who couldn’t apply during the fall intake, apply in this one.
- Summer Semester – It commences in the month of May/June and there are only selected Courses available.
Top Universities in USA
Though there are 150 universities in the US which are included in the QS World University Rankings 2022, we have shortlisted top 30 universities. Here is the list for the same:
QS World University Rankings 2022 – Top Universities in the US
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
University of Chicago
University of Pennsylvania
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Johns Hopkins University
University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
New York University (NYU)
University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
Carnegie Mellon University
University of Texas at Austin
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Washington
Georgia Institute of Technology
Pennsylvania State University
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Washington University in St. Louis
Eligibility Criteria for USA Student Visa
The eligibility requirements are based on the type of visa that the candidate falls under. In order to be eligible for non-immigrant categories, he/she must obtain clearance from either USCIS or SEVIS i.e., Student and Exchange Visitor Information System or the Department of Labor. Therefore one must thoroughly analyze whether they meet all of the requirements and eligibility criteria of a particular visa category they wish to apply for.
US Student Visa Requirements
In order to be eligible for the US universities, students:
- Must have a valid passport with a minimum validity of 6 months after they stay in the country
- Must have a DS-160 Form (Nonimmigrant visa application confirmation page)
- Must make the Payment of the application fee if they are seeking a student visa and have Form I-20 on hand (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)
- Must provide the receipt number on the petition submitted by the US employer (I-129 form), in case applying for a work visa
- Must have provisional certificates or original marks sheets
- Must have the Score card for standardized tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, GRE whatever is applicable.
- Must prove that they have adequate funds in their bank account to cover the expenses in the duration of your course.
- Must prove to the Visa officer that they will leave the country on completion of the study programme
- Have to give a personal interview at the US embassy as part of his/her application procedure.
Kindly note that these are the basic requirements, you can speak with your VS4U counsellor for a detailed list of documents required for visa processing.
Cost of Studying in the USA
There are two major categories under which the US Universities falls i.e., public-funded and private institutions. Usually the public Universities are much cheaper than the private ones as public Universities are based on non-resident costs. An individual will approximately require $10,000 to $55,000 annually to cover their tuition fees. Following table shows the average tuition fees for different levels:
APPROXIMATE TUITION FEES IN USD$
Undergraduate Bachelor Degree
$15,000 to $40,000 per year
$20,000 to $40,000 per year
$20,000 to $45,000 per year
However, it usually costs $510 for an F1 visa application which permits overseas students to study full-time at an institution in the US as a part of the SEVP i.e., Student and Exchange Visitor Program. It must be noted that the candidate should apply at least three months prior the start date of their course.
Further, those applicants who are engaging in a US government-sponsored programme which begin with codes G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7 are exempted from paying the SEVIS fee. Following table shows the fee for other various visa categories:
Fee amount in rupees
How to apply?
1) Initially, the candidates are required to apply to a US university with the help of experts. After being accepted to a school, the candidates will receive one of following two forms:
- Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status) for F-1 and M-1 students,
- Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status for J-1 students.
2) Then the candidates would be required to go online and pay the I-901 SEVIS fee once they receive their I-20 or DS-2019 form from their respective school.
3) Afterwards, the candidates need to apply for an international student visa at the US embassy or consulate.
4) Then they need to fill out the DS-160 form online and additionally they are require to fill out the Online Non-immigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) and make the selection of the US embassy where they will interview for their visa on this application by contacting to the nearest US embassy or consulate (preferably, the one he/she has listed on their online application) to arrange for their visa interview after they’ve filed Form DS-16.
5) Then they need to pay the application fee of 160 USD and attend their visa interview. In case the candidates will be selected then they might require to pay the visa issuance fee and finally the visa will be granted to the candidate.
Post Study Work Option
Those students who have a F1 Student are eligible for up to 12 months of OPT i.e., optional practical training on completion of their graduation. Through this, they can work for one year after their studies. This is a temporary job permissible visa that offers opportunities to the students to gain practical experience in their field of study. To remain in the US further, the students can apply for a work visa.
The table depicted below shows the steps to apply for a F1 Visa:
|Step 1||SEVIS fee and I-20 form collection||On successful payment of the SEVIS fee, the candidates are given an I-20 form from their new school/college. After filling the form the candidates are required to bring along the same for their F-1 interview.|
|Step 2||VISA fee and form collection||Then the candidates are required to pay their visa fee at the designated bank and collect the visa form. On filling the same, they need to bring along for their interview.|
|Step 3||VISA interview||Then the applicants need to Schedule a visa interview with the US embassy in their country. On completion of the interview successfully, they’ll receive their visa 120 days in advance.|
Note: The candidates can move to the US only 30 days prior the begin date of their program
Student Dependent Visa (F2 Visa)
The student dependent visa is also known as F2 Visa. It is a non-immigrant dependent visa where the dependent family members (spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 of the individual who is studying in US) of the F1 student visa holders can arrive in the US. In order to be eligible for the same, the primary candidate must have enough funds to support their family in the US.
F2 Visa Requirements
- Passport (both original and photocopies)
- Visa application confirmation (DS-160)
- A photograph conforming to U.S. visa rules
- Birth certificate for dependent children
- Marriage certificate for spouses
- Visa fee payment receipt
- Applicant’s I-20 form
- Copy of F1 visa holder’s I-20 form
- Applicant’s bank statements, tax records, and employment documents as proof of financial stability
Benefits of F2 Visa
- Extension of the Visa: The F2 visa dependents are also automatically eligible to apply for the extension if the primary F1 student visa holder extends his / her stay.
- Change of Visa Status: An individual can enter the U.S. on an F2 visa and request a change of visa status by enrolling in a US higher education program in US universities to F1.
- Green Card: When the primary F1 visa holder receives a green card then the dependents become automatically eligible to apply for one on their own. In addition, the dependents can change their visa status to a different one which permits for dual purpose (e.g., L1 visa) and then apply for a Green Card.
- Healthcare facility: Individuals who holds F2 visa have access to medical facilities and hospitals in the US. But, if an individual plans on a long stay or expect a medical condition then it is advisable to take health insurance plan.
limitations of F2 VISA
- Not allowed to work
- Not eligible for SSN i.e., Social Security Number
- Not allowed to pursue higher education
- Cannot enter the U.S. before the F1 student visa holder
- Dependent children on an F2 visa can complete primary, middle and high school education. If they are looking forward to pursue higher studies, then they must first apply for a visa status change.
M1 Visa - Student Visa (Vocational Course)
It is a type of non-immigrant student visa which is issued by the USCIS to international students planning to study in the US. It is primarily proposed for those who want to pursue vocational training in the United States.
Benefits of a M1 Visa
One can obtain a driver’s license, a bank account based in the U.S., access to health care services, and apply for work under certain restrictions.
Other necessary requirements of a M1 Visa
- Cannot apply for non-academic course in the US
- Must meet the minimum education qualification required
- Must get admitted by a U.S.-based educational school and got Form I-20.
- Have the suitable level of proficiency in English Language
- Must show proof of funds to meet expenses in the US
- Have PR in their original nation
- Must prove that they have no intention of remaining in the US and will leave after their education is completed.
- Passport valid for at least six months
- DS-160 confirmation
- Visa appointment letter
- Recent photographs
- Fee receipts
- Educational certificates
- Proof of financial stability
- Any other necessary Additional documents
1) How much does it cost for an Indian to study in the US?
Usually the undergraduate courses have a tuition fees ranging between $15,000 to $20,000 yearly whereas postgraduate courses cost between $7000 to $21,000. The monthly expense can range anywhere between $300 to $1000 depending on the lifestyle.
2) What is the minimum IELTS score required to study for US Study Visa?
A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 bands is usually required by the US Universities/Colleges, rest it is dependent on the course and the institution which the student want to opt for.
3) Can I work on a Student Visa?
Although there are certain limits but you can definitely work in the US as an international student while studying. M-1 and F-1 visa holders can be permitted to work on-campus in certain training programs. However, they cannot work outside of their University/College during the first year.
4) What is the processing time for US Student Visa?
If the candidate’s student visa is approved, then they will get their passport along with their US student visa within 7 to 10 working days.
How VS4U can help you?
Visa Solutions 4U is among the top overseas education consultants in Delhi, India. VS4U specializes in Tourist visas, PR Visas, Work Visas, Study Visas, Temporary Visas, etc. in Canada, the UK, the USA, Australia, and many other countries. You may trust us with your visa applications as we are among the top immigration consultants in Delhi, India, and the best US Visa Agents In Delhi NCR. Beyond helping with visas, VS4U offers clients specialized services like:
- Profile Evaluation: Our experts analyze your profile in-depth to see which program is best suitable for you. Accordingly, we customize our services as per the program and requirement for the same.
- Documents & Review: A detailed and error-free documentation support is provided to the candidate which is maintained in specific formats.
- Dedicated Case Manager: A dedicated adviser is provided to help applicants throughout the process.
- Visa filing: VS4U ensures that the visa applications meet all the quality necessities involved in the immigration process.
- Language Proficiency Tests: Complimentary on-line and offline offered to assist aspirants improve their Language Proficiency for necessary exams like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE.
- Mock Interviews: Guidance is provided to aspirants attending visa interviews at the side of verified documents.
- Post-Landing Services: We provide accommodation and job assistance to our clients as we have various links in the USA through which newcomers can settle in easily.